Monday, December 16, 2013

Mosaic Hops - Tasting Notes

I'm starting off my series of hop tasting notes with Mosaic. Mosaic is an offspring of Simcoe and has rapidly become a favorite of both craft and homebrewers. You can refer to my previous posts for more details about my recipe and methods for brewing single-hopped beers to trial hop varieties.

The hops I used were 12.3% AA whole cone hops that I got from Freshops. The raw hops smelled grassy, with some sweet fruitiness and a hint of tomato vine.

The nose on the Mosaic beer was very powerful with citrus (I picked up both grapefruit and lime), mango and some pine/dank notes. I also got a hint of onion, but just faintly.

On the palate I get citrus and tropical fruit notes balanced with dank & piney notes. I also pick up faint herbal notes, some anise and a hint of onion/BO. Again, the onion is there, but not overpowering. Bitterness level seems to be middle-of-the-road.

I've used Mosaic in quite a few brews before trying it out in this single-hopped brew. It's interesting that I've never noticed the onion in any beers using Mosaic prior to this. I'm not sure what to attribute that to, but it's something I'll be looking out for in the future.

It's no wonder that Mosaic has become such a huge hit. It just screams "IPA". It's a powerful, oily, complex hop and it tastes fantastic. Every homebrewer who's into hoppy beer should have a pound or two in their freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment