Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Nelson Sauvin Hops - Tasting Notes

Next up are tasting notes from a beer I brewed with Nelson Sauvin. These were 12.1% AA from AHS. The raw hops reminded me of a typical west coast Cascade/Centennial/Amarillo/etc type hop, but there is a distinct fragrant white wine note on top of the citrus.

The nose of the beer is much like the hops themselves. I pick up white grapefruit along with a distinct, perfumey Fume Blanc/Gewurz-type white wine note.

The flavor follows closely to what I get in the aroma. It's mainly ruby-red grapefruit along with a floral/fruity white wine note. There is a bit of a savory/herbal flavor component behind the wine, but I don't find it to be very strong or off-putting to my palate. I also get a slight resinous pine/juniper flavor as well.

I'm a big fan of Nelson. This will definitely be in heavy rotation in my fruit-forward hoppy beers. I also think this would be fantastic as a dry hop in a sour beer. In addition, if you were looking for a hop to dry-hop a cider with, Nelson would be an excellent choice.

1 comment:

  1. This tasting note is from a while back. Since I first taste-tested this brew, Nelson has become one of my main IPA hops. It's like a much more interesting C-hop. I've also used it to dry-hop a cider with moderate success. I definitely believe it is the right variety to dry-hop a cider with, I'm just not sure what the best hopping rate should be.

    ReplyDelete