Monday, December 16, 2013

Rakau Hops - Tasting Notes

Next up are some tasting notes for a single-hopped beer brewed with Rakau. This is one of the fairly new hop varieties coming out of New Zealand. These were 11.4% AA pellets that I got from Rebel Brewer. My aroma notes for the pellets read "grassy, tropical fruit, spice".

The nose of the finished beer has an indistinct "sweet fruit" aroma along the lines of papaya and sweet apples. There are also some perfumy/floral notes.

The palate finds herbal flavors, along with more generic "fruit" flavor. I also pick out some floral and spicy notes along with some resin. Overall, the hop flavor seems kind of muddled and indistinct, although I did get some nice cinnamon flavor as the beer warmed up a bit. The Rakau's not bad, but not something I'd go out of my way for again.

One other thing I noticed is that the Rakau beer had a pretty sharp bitterness. My bittering additions on these beers are a pseudo-FWH, so it's hard to say for sure what kind of results this would give as a 60+ minute addition in an IPA. I have this earmarked to try out in place of Chinook/Columbus/Nugget as a bittering addition in the near future. I'll be sure to report back once I try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment